• 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
• 1 medium white onion, diced
• 2 medium carrots, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
• 3 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
• 2 cups milk
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 8 ounces (2 cups) freshly-grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for serving
• 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 large head of broccoli)
• 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
1. Heat butter (or oil) in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until melted. Add onion and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent.
2. Stir in the garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Stir in the flour and sauté for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the chicken stock until it is evenly combined. Stir in the milk and mustard until combined. Continue cooking until the soup, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium.
4. Add in the broccoli and cheddar, and stir until combined. Continue cooking for 2-4 more minutes, or until the broccoli reaches your desired level of tenderness.
5. Serve immediately, garnished with extra shredded cheese if desired.